RECENT NEWS ARTICLES

This page contains a selection of recent news articles and commentary about male victims of violence and abuse plus related issues. These articles are presented as a community service, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the One in Three Campaign.

Please send any relevant news articles to us by clicking here and we will post them on this page.

Friday
Nov182016

The fox now guards the hen house | Bettina Arndt | The Spectator

What a welcome surprise. In June this year the NSW government announced a pilot programme for male victims of domestic violence. Finally politicians were acknowledging that women aren’t the only victims of family violence. A third of victims are male, said Pru Goward as she promised $13 million over four years for the pilot.

That’s chickenfeed compared to the hundreds of millions that Malcolm Turnbull boasts are being spent on domestic violence across the country, all promoting an ideologically-driven agenda which pretends the problem is all about men and ignores 40 years of international research showing most family violence is two-way, involving women as well as men.

What a blow to discover last week that the government has awarded the contract for this vital new service to Men’s Referral Service, an organisation driven by feminist ideology and long known for shunning male victims. In the past MRS was on the record for refusing to acknowledge the existence of male victims. More recently the organisation’s position shifted to arguing male victims don’t experience abuse in the same way as women and hence don’t deserve support.

Click to read more ...

Tuesday
Nov082016

Appointment of feminist group to aid male family violence victims "a curious choice"

Media release - for immediate release - Tuesday November 8th 2016

Campaigners working to raise the profile of male victims of family violence have described the New South Wales government's appointment of a feminist organisation to assist male victims "a curious choice."

Yesterday, the Men's Referral Service was appointed by the NSW government to run a pilot service to connect male victims of family violence with specialist, local support worth $13M over 4 years. Mr Greg Andresen, a spokesman for the One in Three Campaign, which advocates for male family violence victims, said the appointment raised a lot of questions which needed answers.

"Males make up roughly one third of victims of family violence, and they need services that are going to understand their unique needs and give them appropriate assistance. Appointing a feminist organisation as the frontline provider without an open tender process, is a curious choice that needs explanation," Mr Andresen said.

Click to read more ...

Sunday
Sep252016

'It doesn't have to end here': ACT anti-domestic violence campaign unveiled | Canberra Times

A woman's legs splay motionless on the floor, a man in dress shirt and tie slumps face-down on the ground, a young boy lies sprawled at the bottom of a staircase, police knock at a front door.

It doesn't have to end here.

That's the message behind a powerful new ACT Domestic Violence Prevention Council campaign aimed at boosting awareness of what domestic and family abuse looks like and to draw attention to it as a whole-of-community problem.

Council chairwoman Marcia Williams said the campaign was "very confronting; deliberately confronting" and was designed to compel Canberrans to seek out more information or to have a conversation with a friend, family member or colleague who could be experiencing violence.

"There are too many people in the ACT who think it doesn't happen," she said.

ACT Victims of Crime commissioner John Hinchey hoped the series of posters and videos would challenge misconceptions that domestic and family abuse was a "private matter", limited to physical violence, and only experienced by women in heterosexual relationships.

Click to read more ...

Monday
Sep192016

Anti-violence group slams ‘sexist’ Human Rights Commission decision

Media release - for immediate release - Monday September 19th 2016

Anti-violence group slams ‘sexist’ Human Rights Commission decision

The One in Three Campaign, Australia’s key advocacy organisation for male victims of family violence, has criticized the extraordinary move by Human Rights Commissioner Gillian Triggs to ban male researchers from the 2017 Personal Safety Survey.

“This seems nothing more than an attempt to protect the already heavy gender discrimination influencing and distorting this key survey of violence in Australia,” said campaign researcher Mr Paul Ross.

The survey, conducted by the Australian Bureau of Statistics, is a vitally important piece of research regularly used as the best barometer of family and domestic violence and therefore dictating government policy, resources and funding.

“The public who fund this survey have a right to facts and information that is not distorted by gender-political interests or ideology,” said Mr Ross.

“Few people would be aware that the terms of the survey are dictated and controlled by an advisory group made up of 22 organisations, many of them strongly influenced by feminist ideology. There is not a single organisation representing the interests of men and boys on the group.”

Click to read more ...

Sunday
Sep042016

The shame of being a male victim of domestic violence | The Sunday Age

Kathy Evans

Tim* was at low ebb when he met Rose*. His younger sister had recently taken her own life and his parents had split up. Rose, at least initially, made him feel good about life again.

At 23, Tim became a father. During the pregnancy he noticed that Rose could be moody and snappy but put it down to hormones. However, once his daughter was born, the behaviour escalated. She would regularly berate him for the smallest thing; waiting for him outside the bedroom door on a weekend morning, vacuum cleaner in hand; yelling at him if he sat down to watch the television after work. 

Many women overburdened by chores and the demands of a newborn baby as well as struggling fathers might feel some small, secret sympathy towards either party. But Rose became violent. One day, in the midst of a particularly vitriolic row, she slapped him hard across the face.

"I slapped her back," he says frankly. "I was just so shocked." But that, he insists, is the only time he ever retaliated. Over the next few years this vignette was repeated with each episode becoming uglier. Rose would pinch, bite, slap and throw things at him. She would threaten to kill herself and their child.

"Peter" (not his real name) found being a male victim of domestic violence incredibly isolating. He finally suceeded in getting an intervention order against his abusive, alcoholic ex-partner. Photo: Pat Scala

Click to read more ...

Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 85 Next 5 Entries »