RECENT NEWS ARTICLES

This page contains a selection of recent news articles and commentary about male victims of violence and abuse plus related issues. These articles are presented as a community service, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the One in Three Campaign.

Please send any relevant news articles to us by clicking here and we will post them on this page.

Tuesday
Sep142010

Misleading claims on domestic violence in Australia (UK)

False statistics inundate our lives. They gush like a torrent from government ministries on to front pages the world over. Never, or rarely, is there enough time to check them all.

But one Australian group has checked misleading claims about domestic violence by calling on the Ombudsman to arbitrate. Men’s Health Australia won its case that the claims made by the South Australian government were misleading. Very similar claims are often made in the UK.

The South Australian government had been promoting an anti-domestic violence campaign called “Don’t Cross the Line”, very much like the UN sponsored anti-domestic violence campaigns in other Western countries. Among the claims made by the Office for Women in South Australia - which is part of the Attorney-General’s Department - was that women were far more adversely affected by domestic violence than men.

Men’s Health Australia challenged the claim, and after getting little response, appealed to the the South Australian Ombudsman, Richard Bingham, who found in its favour, concluding that the Office for Women had been guilty of unreasonable and wrong administrative action after failing to correct false and/or misleading information on the campaign website.

html#ixzz0n5xrz7qv Read full story

Sunday
Sep122010

Feminists 'tilt' figures

The issues of child protection and domestic violence have been hijacked by politically motivated feminist cliques, according to a coalition of men's groups.

The claim came after an ombudsman's report found bureaucrats guilty of "unreasonable and wrong administrative action" after failing to correct false and misleading information that promoted the idea men were overwhelmingly responsible for domestic violence.

South Australia's Office for Women presented erroneous statistics, such as 95 per cent of domestic violence involves a male perpetrator and a female victim, the ombudsman found. Raw data show that, overall, at least one in three victims are male.

Men's Health Australia spokesman Greg Andresen said the SA Ombudsman's report should make the Gillard Government think twice about rolling back the shared parenting reforms introduced to family law by the Howard government -- which effectively guarantee fathers some level of access to their children in the event of marital breakdown.

"The picture seems to be emerging of offices of women around the country -- who advise state and federal ministers -- having taken deeply feminist lines on domestic abuse and child protection," Mr Andresen said.

"These bureaucrats have a strong feminist perspective -- and that's probably appropriate for people concerned with women's issues.

"But the problem is that when governments roll out programs relating to children, what gets rolled out is a program for women, not one that has equal regard for men and women.

"The conventional wisdom among these people is that the only perpetrators of domestic violence are men and the only perpetrators of violence against children are men.

"There is a wealth of research that shows that men are almost as likely to suffer domestic violence or abuse."

Laurie Nowell, Sunday Herald Sun, 12 September 2010, Section 1, page 28.

Copyright 2010 News Ltd. All Rights Reserved.

Tuesday
Sep072010

Was or is your father a victim of Intimate Partner Abuse?

Was or is your father a victim of Intimate Partner Abuse?
And are you 18 years or older?

If you can answer yes to both of the above questions we would appreciate your participation in our research project. We are conducting research to explore the nature of Domestic Abuse experienced by males in intimate partner relationships and are looking for individuals who can answer yes to both of the above questions to participate in a half-hour interview to explore your experience of male victims of Intimate Partner Abuse.

If you would like to participate in this study please contact Emily Tilbrook on 0414 807 911 or e.tilbrook@ecu.edu.au.

If you are able to help with promoting this study, please download a printable flyer from here.

Tuesday
Sep072010

Training workshop, Perth, 7th October 2010: Working with men affected by intimate partner violence

In Australia up to one in three victims of family violence are male. While many services have quite rightly been established over the past three decades to support female victims of family violence, the needs of male victims remain largely unmet.

The issue of men affected by violence in intimate relationships has been reported for many years and now workers in the domestic violence, community and family relationship sectors are acknowledging this problem and seeking out training for their workers.

WHO IS THE TRAINING PROGRAM FOR?

The training program is provided for health/welfare/community workers to provide information and strategies for working with men who are affected by violence in their relationships.

WHAT AREAS ARE COVERED IN THE TRAINING PROGRAM?

• Background to the problem and context violence and abuse occurs in
• The affect of domestic violence on a person - what’s different for men
• Strategies for working with men from a strengths based perspective
• Overview of approaches that work for men who are victims of DV
• Building services for male victims of DV into your agency – what you need to consider
• Promoting work for male victims of DV

COST: $170 for one day training program, training resource pack, all refreshments and lunch plus six month follow up support with your program/resource/service development.

PAST TRAINING COURSE PARTICIPANT'S COMMENTS:

“The experience of DV is similar for men and women but hard for men due to socialisation and how society sees men, but they have the same feelings afterwards as women. Definitely a lack of services for men both in domestic violence and sexual assault areas.” Paula Mudd, Chairperson, Hunter DV Support & Advisory Services Inc.

“We will be able to help men in domestic violence better now and you have helped me understand it a lot more... we really need a change of attitude towards male victims.” Roxanne Shettler, Secretary, Hunter Domestic Violence Support & Advisory Services Inc.

ABOUT THE PRESENTER:

Greg Millan is a social work trained health educator and trainer with over 18 years experience in the men’s health promotion area developing and implementing many workshop programs, community events and resources covering a wide range of male health and wellbeing issues. He has worked for Government, Non-government organisations and the private sector. He is the Vice President of the Australasian Men’s Health Forum Inc., Australia’s peak body implementing a social approach to male health and author of “Men’s health & wellbeing: an a–z guide”.

This training program has been developed by Greg based on his research and clinical experience in working with men who have experienced violence in their intimate relationships and men who have been sexually abused.

html#ixzz0n5xrz7qv Download course flyer

Monday
Sep062010

Ombudsman finds domestic violence campaign 'misleading': men's groups call for changes

On the first anniversary of the launch of the South Australian government’s Don’t Cross the Line campaign, the Ombudsman has found the Office for Women guilty of unreasonable and wrong administrative action after failing to correct false and/or misleading information on the campaign website.

The Ombudsman asked the Australian Institute of Criminology to investigate the errors after a complaint by Men’s Health Australia showed that statistics on the website misled the public about the nature of violence in young people’s relationships.

Men’s Health Australia spokesman, Greg Andresen said “The research evidence shows that, as far as young people are concerned, the experiences of males and females with regard to relationship violence are quite similar.”

“Around a quarter of young people have seen either mum hitting dad or dad hitting mum, and it’s more likely they’ve seen their parents hitting each other than seeing one-way violence from either parent. Young males and females are also equally likely to say ‘yes’ to the statement ‘I’ve experienced domestic violence’.”

“As far as the attitudes of young people go, the research does show that some young people hold unacceptable attitudes to violence against women. For example, 8% of young people agreed with the statement ‘it’s okay for a boy to make a girl have sex , if she’s flirted with him, or led him on’ and 11% agreed with the statement ‘if a guy hits a girl he loves because he is jealous, it shows how much he feels for her.’

“However, many more hold unacceptable attitudes to violence against men. For example,

  • Young people are more likely to say a woman ‘is right to’, or ‘has good reason to’, respond to relationship conflict by hitting (68%), than a man in the same situation (49%)
  • While males hitting females was seen, by virtually all young people surveyed, to be unacceptable, it appeared to be quite acceptable for a girl to hit a boy (25% of young people agreed with the statement ‘when a girl hits a guy, it’s really not a big deal.’)
  • Female to male violence was not only viewed light-heartedly, it was also seen as (virtually) acceptable.”

Instead of presenting such data on the Don’t Cross the Line website, the Office for Women instead presented erroneous statistics such as “95% of domestic violence involves a male perpetrator and a female victim” (the data shows that overall, at least one in three victims are male). While some of these errors have now been corrected, the website still contains a page of inappropriate statistics about violence against women only.

In an interview on ABC Radio on September 2nd, Minister for Women Gail Gago claimed that the campaign “is not a contest about who is the biggest victim.” Men’s Health Australia is hopeful this means that the campaign will be altered to present a balanced picture of relationship violence.

Mr Andresen said, “Unfortunately this is not an isolated incident. The NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research recently found that the NSW Government had published eight ‘statistics’ in need of correction in their Domestic and Family Violence Discussion Paper. There appears to be a widespread culture within women’s departments that downplays or denies the existence of male victims of relationship violence and abuse.”

A coalition of thirty men’s health organisations and individuals has written to the Premier asking that the Don’t Cross the Line campaign and future respectful relationships and family violence campaigns be moved from the Office for Women to a more suitable government department.

Toni McLean, a counsellor for men and women who use violence said, “The consequences of the government’s one-sided view of relationship violence are devastating for young male victims who don't speak up because they think their circumstances are unusual. Equally, the vast majority of boys who are non-violent could grow up with the distorted and unhealthy view that many of their peers are abusive to females.”

Micheal Woods, adjunct fellow at the University of Western Sydney, said “The Government has a public duty to present facts honestly and with integrity when releasing information in the public domain, especially about such an important area as relationship violence. We fear that the Office for Women may be ill-equipped to continue a role in designing and implementing respectful relationship and domestic violence policy because of their demonstrated bias.”

html#ixzz0n5xrz7qv Read media release