Petition by Smash Devon Exeter, United Kingdom, petitioning David Cameron, Ministry of justice to provide gender neutral services so all victims get help.
As a survivor of sexual abuse spanning 29 years I have been lucky enough to have varying levels of support from services that help women recover from such ordeals. I cant say my life is perfect after such suffering but I can at least be thankful I have had some support.
I have written the following articles on abuse
My brother on the other hand had little support and has had his life destroyed by heroine. There is few services that help the 1/6 men who suffer sexual violence. Most rape crisis centres dont help men eventhough rape has a devastating affect on all. There is I think 2 refuges that provide shelter to the 800,000 men who fall victim to domestic violence. There is no 24 hour helpline for men needing support and advice. We have a government policy regarding violence against women but not the same for violence against men, again presuming its only women who are the victims. While services for women get allocated £40m to support women suffering from domestic violence mens services get just £225k. It is estimated that there are 1.2m women victims and 800,000 male victims. All statistics are a estimate but while on average each woman who suffers get £33 a man gets 27p. Men deserve to receive the same support as women.
I would like to see:
- Gender neutral campaigns highlighting all can be abused.
- A dedicated 24 hour help line for male victims of domestic violence
- Refuges for men suffering domestic violence
- Training given to police forces on how to best support male victims
- Specialised counselling services for male victims of sexual violence
- A government policy working towards ending violence against all
- A male victims of domestic violence male rape fund.
We all deserve support when we have been traumatised, not just some.
Click here to sign this petition.