RECENT NEWS ARTICLES

This page contains a selection of recent news articles and commentary about male victims of violence and abuse plus related issues. These articles are presented as a community service, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the One in Three Campaign.

Please send any relevant news articles to us by clicking here and we will post them on this page.

Thursday
Dec082016

New research into Alcohol/Drug-Involved Family Violence in Australia finds that one in three victims are male

New research by the Violence Prevention Group at the School of Psychology, Deakin University, investigating Alcohol/Drug-Involved Family Violence in Australia, surveyed a representative sample of 5,118 Australians and found that males accounted for between 11% and 37% of victims in incidents attended by police, 24% of intimate partner violence victims and 34% of family violence victims in the panel survey. It also found that "there were no significant differences in the proportion of male and female respondents classified as engaging in no, low, and high Coercive Controlling Behaviours (ps > 0.05)."

You can read the full report here.

Thursday
Nov242016

Radio interview with Bettina Arndt and male victim of domestic violence on ABC Central Coast

This is a great interview with Bettina Arndt and a male domestic violence victim with ABC’s Scott Levi, from the Central Coast, NSW.

https://clyp.it/4tbv5mwn

You can leave comments on the ABC Central Coast Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/abccentralcoast/posts/1501845733164264.

The gentleman is very articulate and his story is really interesting because his ex-wife was violent but he is now in a relationship with a woman who also escaped a violent partnership. He’s very intelligent and has some real insights into the whole issue.

Friday
Nov182016

The fox now guards the hen house | Bettina Arndt | The Spectator

What a welcome surprise. In June this year the NSW government announced a pilot programme for male victims of domestic violence. Finally politicians were acknowledging that women aren’t the only victims of family violence. A third of victims are male, said Pru Goward as she promised $13 million over four years for the pilot.

That’s chickenfeed compared to the hundreds of millions that Malcolm Turnbull boasts are being spent on domestic violence across the country, all promoting an ideologically-driven agenda which pretends the problem is all about men and ignores 40 years of international research showing most family violence is two-way, involving women as well as men.

What a blow to discover last week that the government has awarded the contract for this vital new service to Men’s Referral Service, an organisation driven by feminist ideology and long known for shunning male victims. In the past MRS was on the record for refusing to acknowledge the existence of male victims. More recently the organisation’s position shifted to arguing male victims don’t experience abuse in the same way as women and hence don’t deserve support.

Click to read more ...

Tuesday
Nov082016

Appointment of feminist group to aid male family violence victims "a curious choice"

Media release - for immediate release - Tuesday November 8th 2016

Campaigners working to raise the profile of male victims of family violence have described the New South Wales government's appointment of a feminist organisation to assist male victims "a curious choice."

Yesterday, the Men's Referral Service was appointed by the NSW government to run a pilot service to connect male victims of family violence with specialist, local support worth $13M over 4 years. Mr Greg Andresen, a spokesman for the One in Three Campaign, which advocates for male family violence victims, said the appointment raised a lot of questions which needed answers.

"Males make up roughly one third of victims of family violence, and they need services that are going to understand their unique needs and give them appropriate assistance. Appointing a feminist organisation as the frontline provider without an open tender process, is a curious choice that needs explanation," Mr Andresen said.

Click to read more ...

Sunday
Sep252016

'It doesn't have to end here': ACT anti-domestic violence campaign unveiled | Canberra Times

A woman's legs splay motionless on the floor, a man in dress shirt and tie slumps face-down on the ground, a young boy lies sprawled at the bottom of a staircase, police knock at a front door.

It doesn't have to end here.

That's the message behind a powerful new ACT Domestic Violence Prevention Council campaign aimed at boosting awareness of what domestic and family abuse looks like and to draw attention to it as a whole-of-community problem.

Council chairwoman Marcia Williams said the campaign was "very confronting; deliberately confronting" and was designed to compel Canberrans to seek out more information or to have a conversation with a friend, family member or colleague who could be experiencing violence.

"There are too many people in the ACT who think it doesn't happen," she said.

ACT Victims of Crime commissioner John Hinchey hoped the series of posters and videos would challenge misconceptions that domestic and family abuse was a "private matter", limited to physical violence, and only experienced by women in heterosexual relationships.

Click to read more ...