RECENT NEWS ARTICLES

This page contains a selection of recent news articles and commentary about male victims of violence and abuse plus related issues. These articles are presented as a community service, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the One in Three Campaign.

Please send any relevant news articles to us by clicking here and we will post them on this page.

Wednesday
Aug312016

Men are also victims of domestic abuse | Corrine Barraclough | The Daily Telegraph

White Ribbon Australia is currently promoting its “Walk a mile” campaign to be held on September 2. Its social media posts say this fundraising incentive is “to get the message out that Australia has a domestic violence crisis”.

Yet Dr Don Weatherburn, director of the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research (BOCSAR), recently told The Australian: “There is no evidence that we’re in the middle of an epidemic of domestic violence”. Official data from Australian Bureau of Statistics shows violence against women has decreased across the 20 years it’s been studied.

Most recent statistics from the ABS Personal Safety Survey show 1.06 per cent of women are physically assaulted by their partner or ex- partner each year in Australia.

Why the hysteria? Leaning on words like “epidemic” and “crisis” causes an emotional, dramatic response.

Does this mean DV isn’t important? No. But is our approach wrong? Yes.

New research from BOCSAR shows prison is no more effective in deterring DV offenders than a suspended sentence. So where are the long-term answers? Do we take domestic violence seriously or not? Is this about winning votes or finding long-term solutions? Some bow to cultural Marxism; others want fundraising and policy based on facts.

Put down the political football, silence the misleading narrative, take unbiased research seriously, and shift attitudes and policies. Start working on a holistic approach, including programs that address underlying causes of violence such as generational family violence and substance abuse.

Click to read more ...

Friday
Aug262016

Vested interests ‘have taken over domestic violence debate’: Leyonhjelm | Bettina Arndt | The Australian

BETTINA ARNDT Columnist @thebettinaarndt

Australia’s approach to dealing with domestic violence is “ideologically driven” and ignores women’s participation, says Liberal Democrats senator David Leyonhjelm, who is seeking more evidence to justify government-funded programs.

“My concern is that vested interests may have taken over the debate. In recent years, successive governments have thrown vast sums at domestic violence services, but the evidence suggests the money is not being spent wisely,” said Senator Leyonhjelm.

He plans to use Senate estimates hearings to interrogate the evidence justifying government domestic violence initiatives. He said he was concerned the domestic violence framework is based on an “ideologically driven agenda which denies female participation in family violence, contrary to a vast body of research both here and overseas”.

Senator Leyonhjelm cited the announcement of new domestic violence guidelines for magistrates and judges released last week by federal Attorney-General George Brandis.

Those broaden the definition for domestic violence to include criticising a partner’s appearance or housework skills or even remaining silent. “The ludicrous, ever-expanding definitions of domestic violence make a mockery of this serious social problem,” he said. Queensland introduced domestic violence legislation this week which requires police to offer “immediate” protection to someone alleging domestic violence. “Our legal system has already gone too far in undermining legal principles such as presumption of innocence,” said Senator Leyonhjelm. “This could further increase the risk of people being arbitrarily removed from their homes and losing contact with their children on the basis of unproven allegations.”

Other crossbench senators have raised concerns on domestic violence. The Nick Xenophon Team’s platform calls for government to “create and fund an evidence-based national awareness campaign with a particular focus on the cultural environment which contributes to family violence similar issues”. Jacqui Lambie has criticised funding cuts to mental health and drug and alcohol services, which address known causes of domestic violence. Pauline Hanson has bemoaned the lack of resources for male victims of domestic violence. The Australian Bureau of Statistics revealed one third of domestic violence victims were male. Senator Leyonhjelm welcomed a commitment last week by the NSW government to provide $13 million over four years for male victims’ services.

Saturday
Aug202016

Domestic violence: data shows women are not the only victims | The Weekend Australian Inquirer

The University of Queensland’s Kim Halford suggests that perhaps three-quarters of a million children witness both parents engaged in domestic violence.

BETTINA ARNDT Columnist @thebettinaarndt

Eva Solberg is a Swedish politician, a proud feminist who holds an important post as chairwoman of the party Moderate Women. Last year she was presented with her government’s latest strategy for combating domestic violence. Like similar reports across the world, this strategy assumes the only way to tackle domestic violence is through teaching misogynist men (and boys) to behave themselves.

The Swedish politician spat the dummy. Writing on the news site Nyheter24, Solberg took issue with her government’s “tired gendered analysis”, which argued that eradicating sexism was the solution to the problem of domestic violence. She explained her reasoning: “We know through extensive practice and experience that attempts to solve the issue through this kind of analysis have failed. And they failed precisely because violence is not and never has been a gender issue.”

Solberg challenged the government report’s assumption that there was a guilty sex and an innocent one. “Thanks to extensive research in the field, both at the national and international level, we now know with great certainty that this breakdown by sex is simply not true.”

She made reference to the world’s largest research database on intimate partner violence, the Partner Abuse State of Knowledge project, which summarises more than 1700 scientific papers on the topic.

She concluded that her government’s report was based on misinformation about family violence and that, contrary to the report’s one-sided view of men as the only perpetrators, many children were experiencing a very different reality: “We must recognise the fact that domestic violence, in at least half of its occurrence, is carried out by female perpetrators.”

Click to read more ...

Sunday
Aug142016

Please thank Minister Goward for providing services to male victims of family violence

The NSW Government has committed to providing $13 million over four years for Victims Services to pilot new responses for male victims of domestic and family violence, through expert NGO support (you can find details of the Tender process here).

This rollout is a historic Australia-first initiative and hopefully the first of many. It is the first step towards gender equity for family violence victims. It comes after 7 years of lobbying by the One in Three Campaign alongside other individuals and organisations.

The funding for these services is a new stream, and has NOT been taken out of the budget for women's services. Nevertheless we expect Minister Pru Goward to receive a great number of angry letters dismayed at her decision to support male victims.

PLEASE take 5 minutes to email Minister Goward at office@goward.minister.nsw.gov.au to thank her for providing services to male victims of family violence. Even a short one-sentence thank you email is enough.

Thanks for your support!

Sunday
Aug142016

NSW Government Tender for Local Support Services for Male DFV Victims

The NSW Government has put out a tender for statewide Local Support Services for Male DFV Victims. The closing date is 5-Sep-2016 at 11:00am. The Government has budgeted $13M over 4 years to fund these groundbreaking Australia-first services.

We are concerned that the organisations best placed to deliver these services will be existing Domestic and Family Violence services that have an extremely poor track record of supporting male victims. What male victims need are service providers who can offer them a professional, sympathetic, male-friendly response that doesn't presume they are perpetrators of violence because they are male.

If anyone is in the position to apply for this tender in their local area, please give it serious consideration.

The documents can be found at tenders.nsw.gov.au/justice/?event=public.rft.show&RFTUUID=6E58A33B-DBC7-F7B2-4DA1A6D1710A4BB2.

Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 85 Next 5 Entries »