RECENT NEWS ARTICLES

This page contains a selection of recent news articles and commentary about male victims of violence and abuse plus related issues. These articles are presented as a community service, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the One in Three Campaign.

Please send any relevant news articles to us by clicking here and we will post them on this page.

Wednesday
Nov182009

Harassed hubbies seek ‘support’ (India)

Hyderabad: Instead of racking his brains over a new recipe, chef Sanjay Thumma stood in the middle of a press conference, holding a placard that read: “Mard ko bhi dard hota hai”. Thumma was among the motley crowd of men who had gathered in the room, taking half day off from work, to share with each other their sob stories of ill-treatment, not at the hands of their bosses, but their wives.

pdf Read full article

Monday
Nov162009

Safe house for abused men opening (NZ)

One of New Zealand's first safe houses for men affected by domestic abuse is about to open in Gisborne. Women's Refuge signed tenancy agreement papers for the men's respite centre - expected to be operating before Christmas - last week, the Gisborne Herald reported. The community housing home will offer temporary accommodation for men who needed to stay away from their partner or children while the family addressed violence in their home. Gisborne refuge branch manager Vi Pirini said the centre would make the healing period for families “less traumatic for all parties”. Up to four men at a time would be able to stay at the centre for a temporary period. Further support would be available through a close link with a recently developed men's resource centre. Ms Pirini said men would be hired to run the centre, based at a residential address, under an Oranga Tane, Oranga Whanau arm of the refuge.

Monday
Nov162009

Kazini death a lesson on domestic violence (Uganda)

It is unfortunate that Uganda has lost Maj Gen James Kazini, an illustrious fierceless commander, whose different military mission brought pride to many Ugandans. What is more painful is his alleged cause of death: domestic violence. It would be appropriate if Kazini had died on the war front. However, surviving all the risks of combat and going down as a result of gender-based violence is absurd. Nonetheless, Kazini’s death should not just pass on as a simple domestic issue. Rather it brings to light the problem of gender-based violence which is on the increase in the country today. It also illustrates the fact that gender-based violence cuts across race, wealth and rank.

html#ixzz0n5xrz7qv Read full article

Tuesday
Nov102009

Claims of sex abuse by women grow (UK)

A huge rise in the number of children calling to report sexual abuse by women has been revealed by Childline.
Over the past five years, the charity says the number of such calls has risen five times faster than youngsters reporting abuse by a man. Of 16,094 children who called Childline about sex abuse last year, 2,142 told of abuse by a woman, up 132% on 2004-5. Men still account for the majority of child abuse claims, but the NSPCC said female sex abuse was under-reported. This is because there is a reluctance or unwillingness on the part of professionals to acknowledge or identify sexual abuse by females, the charity suggested. The research follows the recent high-profile case of nursery worker Vanessa George, who abused children in her care. She was a member of an internet paedophile ring which included another woman.

html#ixzz0n5xrz7qv Read full article

Friday
Nov062009

Mum jailed for poisoning two children

A woman who gave her two children rat poison before smothering them to death told them: “It's just a little bit of hurt”. The 31-year-old woman from Canley Vale in Sydney's west, who cannot be named, mixed the poison with sugar and water before feeding it to her four-year-old son and two-year-old daughter in February 2008. Fearing this would not work, she then smothered her daughter with a pillow and suffocated her son using her hand. Justice Clifford Hoeben found her guilty on the lesser charges of manslaughter in September, saying she had been suffering “substantial impairment by abnormality of the mind”. He told the court on Friday she had been angered by her husband's infidelity.

html#ixzz0n5xrz7qv Read full article