RECENT NEWS ARTICLES

This page contains a selection of recent news articles and commentary about male victims of violence and abuse plus related issues. These articles are presented as a community service, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the One in Three Campaign.

Please send any relevant news articles to us by clicking here and we will post them on this page.

Sunday
Aug142016

NSW Government Tender for Local Support Services for Male DFV Victims

The NSW Government has put out a tender for statewide Local Support Services for Male DFV Victims. The closing date is 5-Sep-2016 at 11:00am. The Government has budgeted $13M over 4 years to fund these groundbreaking Australia-first services.

We are concerned that the organisations best placed to deliver these services will be existing Domestic and Family Violence services that have an extremely poor track record of supporting male victims. What male victims need are service providers who can offer them a professional, sympathetic, male-friendly response that doesn't presume they are perpetrators of violence because they are male.

If anyone is in the position to apply for this tender in their local area, please give it serious consideration.

The documents can be found at tenders.nsw.gov.au/justice/?event=public.rft.show&RFTUUID=6E58A33B-DBC7-F7B2-4DA1A6D1710A4BB2.

Friday
Aug122016

Domestic violence not just a female problem: Documents reveal more than 10,000 males across NSW affected (Daily Telegraph)

EXCLUSIVE Annabel Hennessy, The Daily Telegraph
August 12, 2016 12:00am

More than 10,000 male victims of domestic violence have been identified across NSW as the Baird government prepares to spend $13 million over four years on first-of-its kind support programs.

Documents obtained by The Daily Telegraph reveal about 1800 men need “Safety Action Meeting” representation because they are at “serious threat”.

Campbelltown, Mount Druitt and Parramatta were identified as violence hot spots, with more than 400 male victims identified in each.

Upper-echelon localities were not immune, with 263 victims in the northern beaches and 315 victims in Waverley.

Minister for the Prevention of Domestic Violence Pru Goward has backed the scheme, arguing survivors of domestic violence deserve “a strong response and support”.

“The NSW government has a zero-tolerance approach to violence against any person, irrespective of age, race, sexuality, religious persuasion or gender,” Ms Goward said.

“This investment includes new funding of $13 million over four years for NSW Victims Services to pilot new responses for male victims suffering domestic and family violence, through expert NGO (non-government organisation) support.”

Greg Andersen, senior researcher for male victims lobby group One In Three, said resources were “desperately” needed: “We’re aware that male victims of domestic violence are a large and significant minority, yet all the support services are currently for women. Domestic violence against women is awful, but men are desperately in need of support too.”

Mr Andersen said while men were sometimes abused by same-sex partners or male family members, the majority of victims had been abused by women. “There’s a lot of shame about coming forward because there is the perception men should be protectors,” he said.

Western Sydney man “Bill” said he was a victim of domestic violence from his ex-wife between 2007 and 2009 after he was left paralysed by a work accident.

“It started with verbal abuse, she called me a lazy c... and told my kids they wouldn’t get Christmas presents because I was too lazy to work,” Bill said.

“I was in a wheelchair and she refused to get me help to shower or any kind of care.”

The 48-year-old said the abuse escalated with the ex-wife sharpening kitchen knives in front of him and threatening to “stab him”.

“When I called up the Department of Community Services the woman on the phone told me she didn’t believe that I was a victim, because women didn’t abuse men,” he said.

Western Sydney man “Bill” said he was a victim of domestic violence from his ex-wife / Picture: Rohan Kelly

Wednesday
Aug102016

ABC Life Matters story on male victims of domestic violence (MP3 audio)

The ABC radio program Life Matters has produced a story on male victims and female perpetrators of domestic violence. Their website says, 

So far this year, 41 women have died from domestic assault. It's a figure higher than terrorism in Australia, and one that we're struggling to deal with as a society.

The ABS's Personal Safety Survey, last carried out in 2012, showed that one in six women and one in twenty men have been subject to domestic violence by their partner.

We hear from a female perpetrator and a man who has been abused by his wife for more than two decades.

The two interviews are superb, covering the complexity of experiences of a woman who has used violence in her relationships, and a man who has experienced years of ongoing violence and abuse from his female long-term partner.

The interviewees talk about the lack of services and support available for female perpetrators and male victims respectively, and the severe impacts this has had on their lives.

They are also extremely critical of the current approach to domestic violence in Australia.

Click to read more ...

Thursday
Jul282016

Middlesex University researcher seeks male victims/survivors to interview for research project

We have been contacted by Clara Jones, a Masters student at Middlesex University, who is writing a dissertation on the topic of domestic violence against male victims/survivors. The purpose of the research is to gain an in-depth understanding of male victims’/survivors’ experiences of domestic violence and the support that they have been able to access, as this is an important issue where there is relatively little academic research.

Clara is currently looking for male victims/survivors of domestic violence who would be interested in being interviewed for her research. If you agree to take part, you would be interviewed either online over a Skype call, or in a confidential pre-booked private room at Middlesex University (your preference). The interview is likely to take around 45 minutes. As this is an extremely sensitive topic; therefore, everything that you say would remain confidential and anonymous.

You can find out information, as well as contact details for Clara, in a PDF document available here.

Saturday
Jul092016

The Denial of Female Domestic Violence (Dr Augusto Zimmermann, Quadrant, July-August 2016)

You may have seen the campaign against domestic violence running on Australian television. These ads are part of a $30 million federal campaign designed ‘to help break the cycle of violence against women and their children’. Curiously, it seems to suggest that all of the perpetrators are strictly Caucasian males.

We must speak out loudly and clearly about domestic violence against women, but men and children are also victims of such violence. And yet, from the media reports, public inquiries and official campaigns one would be forgiven to believe that men are the sole perpetrators of domestic violence – and that all men are equally likely to carry out such acts of violence.

The feminist lobby exerts constant pressure to present domestic violence solely as a ‘male problem’, to place all the blame for domestic violence on men as a group. As a result, and based on a radical feminist theory that addresses domestic violence primarily as a male issue that is predicated on so-called ‘patriarchy’, male victims are frequently met with disbelief, even suspicion, when they seek protection from a violent female partner.

Click to read more ...