RECENT NEWS ARTICLES

This page contains a selection of recent news articles and commentary about male victims of violence and abuse plus related issues. These articles are presented as a community service, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the One in Three Campaign.

Please send any relevant news articles to us by clicking here and we will post them on this page.

Entries by One in Three Campaign (416)

Friday
Mar272009

NSW Domestic and Family Violence Strategic Framework ignores male victims

Men's Health Australia has written a submssion to the NSW Government's Discussion Paper on the NSW Domestic and Family Violence Strategic Framework, pointing out that it ignores all the evidence about male victims and female perpetrators of domestic and family violence.

pdf Read full article

Tuesday
Mar242009

“Marionette Murderers”: The Stephanie Rengel case reveals a flaw in the way we categorize homicides (Canada)

There is a social lesson to be drawn from this crime that has not been touched on so far. When sexual jealousy pushes controlling females to the point of murder, they very often recruit a male surrogate to carry out the actual deed. The lesson to be drawn? It is well known that spousal homicides are perpetrated in a two-to-one ratio by men against women. What is not understood is that this ratio has been established using murder statistics that deal only with direct murders. That is to say, if a man kills another man at the behest of the victim's partner, the crime is registered as a homicide, not as a spousal killing. But in fact it is just as much a spousal killing as if the woman had done it herself, since the actual murderer - just as in the murder of Stephanie Rengel - would not have committed the crime, and has been coerced into it through sexual weakness or the threat of the loss of his relationship to the woman.

 Read full article

Monday
Feb162009

First refuges for battered husbands offer support to male victims (UK)

The Next Steps Housing Association has created 100 places in 35 refuge houses across Northamptonshire for husbands and partners of abusive women. Spokesperson Dawn Hardie said while researching domestic violence refuges she discovered there was virtually no system of support for men who had been beaten by their partners. She said: 'There is still a very strong stigma attached to men who say they have been the victims of domestic violence. "Statistically, men are more likely to be killed in domestic violence cases than women, and yet we found there was absolutely nowhere for these men to go to escape." As well as offering places to male victims, the charity will take on women victims who have older male children and want to be re-homed together.

 Read full article

Monday
Feb092009

Male domestic abuse victims get their own shelters in Netherlands

Amsterdam - Male victims of domestic abuse in the Netherlands can seek refuge in special shelters such as that due to open Tuesday in The Hague by Deputy Health Minister Jet Bussemaker. The four biggest cities - Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague and Utrecht - each received 200,000 euros (255,920 dollars) to provide safe havens for abused men, the ministry said Monday. Each city should provide 10 shelters. Half the total of 40 abused men's homes will be secret shelters. The initiative is a response to increased demand for such homes by abused men who approached various health and social welfare institutions.

 Read full article

Thursday
Jan292009

Domestic Violence Service returns funding - saying they cannot help men

The Central Coast service, Domestic Violence Intervention Response Team (DVIRT), was last year ordered by the Department of Community Services to change its core function to include helping male victims of domestic violence. The group had been negotiating with the Department of Corrective Services (DoCS), but talks broke down last month and the program is being temporarily run by police until another group willing to comply with the orders is found. "We are not prepared to compromise the integrity of our service by continuing to operate DVIRT under the onerous and inappropriate conditions being imposed by DoCS," a letter to the department, co-signed by Ms Gaunt, read. The letter said changing the program to work with men was in conflict with DVIRT's constitution and would breach a funding agreement with Legal Aid, therefore risking future funding for the scheme. "Our safe room at court can contain more than 30 women... and would not be an appropriate place for male victims to be supported," she said.

 Read full article